Bamberg town hall was built around 1467 on the river Regnitz. Originally influenced by Gothic, the building received Baroque and Rococo touches from Johann Jakob Michael Küchel in 1756. Anwar Johann painted the murals on the exterior walls. Traditional German fachwerk juts out over the river.
The building was placed on an artificial island, supposedly because the bishop didn't want to relinquish any land. An armed conflict between the mayor and the bishop ended with an agreement that the citizens couldn't rebuild their burned-down city hall on land. Tall arched bridges connect the island on either side to this city center on a river.
More Info and Images , Webcam , Video